The Friday Talent Show is our very own talent and variety show with singing, dancing, lip-synch, and comedy featuring you! It is the highlight of an evening that begins with cocktails and a full meal served at the elegant and historic Elk's Lodge. Since 2000, attendees at Esprit have had the chance to make their dreams come true, that is, if your dream is to dress up like your idol and get up on stage shaking your booty and performing!
In order to keep the show manageable, we are limiting the show to about 8-10 acts. But we need backstage assistants too and no experience is necessary. Auditions will be required and the Talent Show Coordinator will set the rules for selecting acts. We'll post more details as they become available or check with the coordinator at Esprit. See the details below or contact the Talent Show Coordinator for more information.
Due to popular demand, this event is open to the public for a $5 cover charge (donated to charity) after the meal has concluded (approximately 8PM). Esprit staff and a local security guard will provide security and screen local guests. There will be a no-host bar serving alcohol.
After the talent show, our own DJ Icy Aly will be spinning up the tunes to keep you dancing the night away. For the more adventurous, the transgender band The Nasty Habits will play their edgy 80's dance covers to their throngs of local fans in town. Esprit attendees are encouraged to join the friendly local crowd that comes out for the fun at either event. You won't want to miss this great night of entertainment!
One more day left and we are definitely not ending quietly! On Saturday we start by honoring our first time attendees in a special ceremony ...
Esprit Talent Show Performer Guidelines and Production Schedule:
The Esprit Talent Show is a fun and popular event for the performers, attendees and general public. This year’s show is being produced by Julia Lauer, technical director.
We welcome any type of act; acts in the past have included live musical performances, karaoke, lip-synch acts, stand-up comedy, magic, dramatic performance…the list goes on!
We want the show overall to run about 1 hour, so to ensure as many acts as possible have time on stage we ask that you limit your act to 5 minutes. With this limitation, and allowing for changeover and short bits between acts we hope to have time for 8-10 attendees to perform.
If you want to perform, here is a general idea of the production schedule and casting process:
- First... SIGN UP! A sign-up sheet will be posted in the registration lobby. Tell us who you are, what you want to do, and how to contact you.
- You must attend the auditions from about 2:00-4:00pm Thursday in Room 148/Hollywood Beach hospitality suite. You will have a chance to perform your act and update your biographical information. Keep in mind the room is pretty small compared to the Elks stage, so if your act is a big modern dance piece, you might have to pare it down for the audition!
- The show will be cast and rehearsal times posted by Thursday evening.
- Those that are cast will be assigned a 20 minute rehearsal time for Friday afternoon. During this time you will have the chance to rehearse your act a few times, on the Elks stage, and with the sound system so you can get the feel of the stage.
- I know what you’re thinking, "20 Minutes to rehearse???!!?!" Keep in mind: Friday afternoon is CRAZY! We will give you 20 minutes of undivided attention to rehearse, but please be punctual, and ready to go! We have to keep on schedule, or the show staff won't have time to change their clothes for the evening! And we don’t want that to happen!
- Check in with the show staff before dinner. We need to know everybody's there! Now...relax. Enjoy your dinner. Have fun! You'll need to get ready backstage before dinner ends, especially if you're one of the first acts. Maybe have someone save your dessert!
- Go out there and break a leg!
The stage is about 30' wide X 15' deep. 3 wireless handheld and 2 wireless headset microphones will be available. Straight or boom stands are available for hand mics. 4 speaker sound system with 2 stage monitors will be provided. If you need props or furniture beyond a chair or maybe a music stand, you are on your own!
1 or 2 people to volunteer for backstage coordination/stagehand duty would be awesome! Contact the Talent Show Coordinator or the Volunteer Coordinator if you’d like to help out with the show, but don’t want to be onstage. Wear your most fashionable backstage black! You’ll look all cool talking on a headset! No experience necessary!